The castle marks the entrance to the canton of Valais. Its highly strategic position used to enable it to control access to the region.
From the end of the 15th century, the construction of the castle was completed in several stages. Destroyed by a fire in 1693, it was completely rebuilt to remain the centre of power in the region until the end of time. It served as the governer’s headquarters, a guard and customs post, but also, between the 18th and 19th centuries, as an orphanage, home for old people, military school, as quarters for troops and a prison.
Since the 20th century, the castle has been open to the general public as a Valaisan cantonal military museum. It is also an exhibition centre dedicated to art and comic strips as well as a reception centre for the Valaisan government.
Les heures d’ouverture varient, veuillez-vous référer au site internet du Château de Saint-Maurice